Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Vine and Its Branches Pt. 2

Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself,
unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.
John 15:4

The Parable of the Vine and Its Branches teaches that Christianity cannot be reduced to a system of beliefs or ethics. The essence of Christianity, rather, is entering into an intimate, spiritual union with God through Jesus Christ, a union not unlike that of a vine and its branches.

The key to experiencing this union was summed up by Jesus when he said:
Abide in me and I in you. What did he mean?

In The Message Eugene Peterson translates the phrase as follows: Live in me. Make your home in me just as I do in you. That’s what it means to abide in Christ. On the one hand, it means to live your life every day in fellowship with Christ; to orient every aspect and activity of your life to his presence and will.

On the other hand, to abide means to allow Christ to make his home in you. We do this by exercising spiritual hospitality, that is, 
by giving Christ access to our whole self – our thoughts, feelings, decisions, and relationships. When we are truly “at home” in Christ and he is “at home” in us we are living in a fruitful union with Christ.

Make your home in me just as I do in you.


No comments:

Post a Comment